Baked beans has been talked about in the past week and I know it’s so easy to grab a can off the shelf, but did you know that the commercial baked beans have approximately 13grams of sugar per 220g can.
That’s about 3-4 teaspoons of sugar… Sneaky!
I have a great recipe for homemade baked beans, super quick, easy and ohhh so yummy! You can make a batch up and it will last 3 days in the fridge or you can freeze a portion for the following week.
This week Paris and I took our baked beans to the next level. We made the baked beans as per recipe, roasted some sweet potato with paprika and added cracked eggs on top.
So here’s what to do.
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 x bacon rashers ( finely chopped) – optional
- 400g can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
- dash of paprika
- chopped red chilli (optional)
- 400g white beans
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Cook onion, garlic and bacon in heated medium saucepan until onion softens.
- Add tomatoes, mustard, cook stirring until hot.
- Add beans, cook stirring until hot.
- Stir in parsley.
This recipe serves 2 people, so just double the ingredients if you want to make more.